Friday, April 22, 2011

How I Went Insane WIthout Really Trying


For this blog post, I am dropping my third person persona.   This is Diane, from my heart.

I went to NYC to extend my 50th birthday celebration.   First show on the agenda, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying starring Daniel Radcliffe and John Larroquette.   After the show was over there was a fundraising appeal for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids.    This is a cause dear to my heart.   I have lost three colleagues to this horrible scourge, including one of my very best friends.   I support the organization at the Angel level (me and Meryl Streep).    Twice a year Broadway productions and some touring companies compete to raise money for BC/EFA.    That is why my basement has many signed posters from Broadway and touring productions.   I even have Daniel Radcliffe's autograph on a poster of Equus from a couple of years ago.

So, I got excited, yay, another poster.   Then they announced that they were auctioning off Daniel's bow tie from the performance.   At Equus it was the pen used to hypnotize the boy and it went for $800 dollars.   BC/EFA means so much to me and I decided to go for it (especially since they were accepting credit cards).  I ended up in a bidding war with a gentleman and they decided that they would give two ties.  He got act one, I got act two (or as Kevin put it the Vice Presidential tie).  

After being taken backstage and having my credit card swiped, I met John and Daniel.  They were very nice.  John is really tall and I took off my shoe to see just how tall.   Daniel and I are about eye level with my shoes off.    They both signed the tie "Happy Birthday, Diane --- Love Daniel Radcliffe , John Larroquette."   And they both signed my poster so the poster will join the wall when I get home and get it framed.

And they took pictures with Kevin's phone of me with John and Daniel and Kevin and me with them.

Felt like a rock star when I got to exit via the stage door.  

I promise not to go crazy at the other three shows.   But, I probably will go home with more signed posters.

All for a good cause.

Rob,
 "if you touched him you understand what happiness was."   I miss you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment